Tuesday, July 23, 2013
10 Things I've Learned from Teaching
Teaching is such a life calling that only other teachers really know how fantastic and difficult it can be all at the same time! It's a job that I love and am passionate about. So I'm joining Miss Kindergarten to share 10 Things I've learned from Teaching.
1. Kids will always tell it like it is! My favorite is when they tell me it's the BEST-DAY-EVER! Even though they told me the same thing last month! LOL! But sometimes they're brutally honest, like when a student told me my hair looked nappy that day. Gee...thanks kid!
2. No matter how well I've planned a lesson....sometimes technology will fail me and I better have a back up plan!
3. Glitter is messy and gets everywhere, but use it anyway!
4. Finding a TBF (Teacher Best Friend)! Teaching can sometimes feel lonely when I'm in a room full of children all day long, so finding a teacher friend who I can share the good and not so good times with helps keep my head on straight.
5. Buy more supplies than I think I'll need. I'm pretty sure students eat supplies for a snack especially pencils and glue sticks. They go through them so fast!
6. Learn the phrase...It'll still be here tomorrow. Don't stress out over getting everything done in one day. It'll still be here tomorrow and I really can do it tomorrow!
7. Don't take work home every night. My mind already stays in "teacher mode" so I take time to just be myself without the work. Remember #6!
8. Kids get excited over the smallest things so make a big deal out of everything! And celebrate everything!
9. Field Trips are fun but oh so exhausting! I'm more tired on field trip days than normal teaching days.
10. Have fun! At the end of the day, they are children not test scores...so make the most of what you have and have fun with it!!